Do you know a volunteer? Do you volunteer? What if I told you that 32% of Arlingtonians volunteer each year? Over 10,000 volunteers donate over 500,000 hours of service to the County Government each year. Yes, 500,000 hours. You can accomplish a lot in that time, like...
• Provide canine companions to help over 1,000 children improve their reading skills.
• Educate over 2,000 residents about emergency preparedness.
• Mark storm drains on 81 miles of Arlington streets.
• Lead over 13,500 hours of summer camp activities.
• Respond to over 18,000 hours of fire and medical emergencies
• Deliver and distribute books to over 400 homebound and disabled residents.
• Provide over 700 hours of counseling and service to Arlington entrepreneurs.
• Survey 51 unsheltered homeless adults to identify permanent housing and service needs.
• Maintain 21 ART bus stops.
• Teach U.S. history and civics to 126 adults in preparation for the U.S. citizenship exam.
In all, the time that volunteers contribute is worth over $10 million each year to County Government programs and our community.
In recognition of National Volunteer, Arlington County would like to express our appreciation for the time, expertise and compassion of the generous community members who make Arlington such a special place. And if you are thinking about getting involved, visit the Online Volunteer Connection to search among hundreds of opportunities to find the right one for you.