Add a meeting Rate this page

A

So we'll sort of construct the agenda on the fly which we always sort of do anyway, but it's going to be a little bit more on the fly this week than usual.

A

So.

A

And then we also have events.

A

So we've got good news on the queue confront.

B

Yeah, we also have a good news on ons EU front, ah not for this project, I, guess: okay, sorry, no.

A

That's fine I mean I would love to see feedback from folks about the ons EU experience, but.

B

I good I'm at Kyle, yeah.

A

All the way for folks who, just let me stick in the, let me try and stick in the chat if I can find the chat. I do not seem to have access to a chat and zoom anymore, the link to the meeting minutes and let me actually bring up and share the meeting. Then it's really quickly and we'll just walk through them live on.

A

A second will like clear things up on the Chrome browser. Traditionally speaking, we will be as a community will tend to edit the meeting, but it's like anyway, so.

A

Let me get the share going I.

A

See share.

A

Little chrome there we go awesome. Can everyone see the Google Chrome?

A

Yes cool? So the good news is, we do have some network service mesh tasks that are having a Q Khan. Let me get them linked in here. Real quick.

B

The CFP closed for coupon, correct right.

A

But we do have two talks for cube con on network service measures on the schedule.

A

I got in there we go so.

A

Awesome.

A

So let me go ahead and get the links to those going.

A

Well, so thanks folks for going ahead and putting yourself on to the attendees list that helps a lot. People are also often wondering. Oh.

C

Hey who.

A

All is involved in this and that's a good way for them to CV. So we wanted to also add to the agenda. I. Think Mon shake you wanted to add an item on about the BNF, CNF testing and benchmarking stuff. I think that was one of the ones we didn't quite.

B

Get to that was actually not just me, but also McHale, who is now here? Yes, so this is where I think.

A

I just heard Michaels Michaels voice, so I.

C

Am Eric.

B

Michael R McHale: how do you pronounce your name, your Swedish? So it's me Kyle, correct, I'm, Danish, so yeah, it's the first one.

C

Speaking Danish, okay, Mika Michael.

B

It's.

C

Nico, okay, you think Michael and Mike I don't mind now I prefer to go native, so obviously Co. Thank you all right.

A

And thank you for bringing that up. Much like I do try and get people's news rights and I'm great and I'm, not usually very good at it. So they call excellent well. So we're a little bit like this week, because I think a bunch of people are still acts or transit from ons Europe.

A

So let's go ahead and dive right in. Is there anything else that folks would like to see in the agenda that we don't have you're currently.

A

Cool, if you don't mind, I'd like to put the action item review kind of at the end, because I think some of the more important things that up to the top of it in getting their own items here, is that the fine with everyone.

B

Sure, hey the only only thing. I am sorry. I need to drop off at half past. So if you could cover the lab stuff or as I see my vnf stuff before then I would appreciate. Thank you. That's.

D

Awesome, hey.

B

It.

D

Real quick know: you've done some very brief arm-waving about a possible demo at cube con and then sm demo of some sort format, yep.

A

Good putting to add to the queue con seattle discussion, um so anything else folks feel we need to add to the agenda all the way oops. You feel free to not only add items to the agenda live in the doc, but also to help in the process of taking notes. It is really useful if you do that cool, so so digging down to events so I know there was a bunch of network service enough stuff that was going on this week at OU and I, see you matcha.

A

Do you want to comment on any of that or.

B

Well, I, Charles and me were there when Colin's.

E

Going.

B

On.

E

After all,.

A

Yeah.

B

So Frederic and and Karl presented in a semi, been to one one of the talk that we're doing the dialogue with the with your spider-man and some of the slides I think it went very well. There was a lot of interaction with a room and and a huge amount of interest. I personally enjoyed it and was glued to the to the presenters and indiscriminate content. So I like that. I also know that Frederick and cow around some site workshops, but I I, don't know I, don't have anything because I didn't attend.

B

Those I did attend a happy hour together with Charles and we had some good fun there. So that's my feedback, I, don't know just you have any any more to add from your experience on understand. No.

F

Honest.

G

Yeah I think it was good, I mean I, think yeah we probably want. To so add. We would probably get one of those same slides when I do the thing in Paris in a few weeks seems like everybody loves that loves your animated spider.

A

Well received it is, it is kind of a crazy, impressive number of slides, but they go very very fast because they are kind of ugly yeah exactly but yeah people tend to identify with a protagonist, and that's always a sign of good literature.

A

Cool awesome, I'm glad that that went well and hopefully we'll hear a little bit more when Kyle and Frederick make it back so and then, in terms of events, we have coming up the next big one is cute: calm Seattle, which is December 10th through the 13th um I, think it's typically the 11th through the 13th. But there are some events that are happening. Is it's collocate events on the ton that are probably cool to go to as well, so a cube con Seattle?

A

We do have two network service mesh talks that have been put on the schedule. What is the internal network service mesh and the other? Is the network surface mesh deep dive? So you know, if you guys, could you know we would love to see you out those talks?

A

We would also love it if you could promote those talks to other people who might be interested in every service mesh I, think that would be good and then I think we've got Chris Metz sort of pointing out that we need to come up with an NS network services mesh demo and suggesting we do things around. You know podcasts and blogs, leading up to huge con as well, which I think is it good set of suggestions.

A

So I guess part of my question of the room would be what do we think as a community that we would like to be able to demo at cube con in terms of network service, mush.

B

I say: are you sure this is the right question to ask at.

A

I'm open to dis not being the right question shouldn't.

B

Shouldn't the question be, what do we expect to be working I? Don't think it does make sense to hack some throwaway code for just the demo I'm talking to Frederick and Carl. No, they making that they they were. They were updating that you know the pro the steady progress is being made, but I think the question should be really what is expected to be working and based on that work out the demo scenario: / Chris's request that'll be at least my my suggest.

A

In terms of priorities Oh because my experience has been when so when you set definitive goals, saying we will do a yo X by Y date, you tend to not do more than X, but when you set a list a priority is these: are the priority list of things we're working on and we need to at least get X working by Y date. Then then you're much more likely to overshoot your goals, so I guess.

A

Maybe the right question is one of the priority of things that we would like to show network search, and then we can sort of see what we can actually do to get from here to there does that make more sense.

D

Hey yeah just practicing those remarks or um so I guess this demo would be some sort of portfolio of material that we'd want to expose to the community so magic to your point. Even if it is a hack, there could be at least some things we show you know existing in the cluster.

D

Like you know the NSM agent, you know, whatever sort of calls might be established or calls set up to uh be able to program the cross connects so I think that contributes to not only you know the cube con presentations, the website, but just sort of gives the audience. You know something else to look at and at least picture in their minds, and you know walking away. We want them to think that you know. Hey networking is happening again. It's happening in the cloud. This is really cool solution.

A

Network service mesh making networking sexy.

A

But.

D

Yeah we got, we got to work with some some element of running code, so I think we would need to quickly determine what we might have working by then or before then, so that we could start to build this thing. So.

A

So maybe what we should do is we sort of put the steak on that? We should think about this and revisit this next week and see what conclusions we've sort of come to as a group between now and then you have a lot of the community. That's currently out this week.

E

Before you leave this topic before and I submitted, there's also a Fido day at Kubek on I, don't know be accepted or not, but I submitted a something to the Fido about constructing a simple example: a layer two connection only using a network service mesh. Of course, some of the some of the work that's going on right now.

E

It's sort of and defining the NSM data plane protocol might be important for that, because that seems to be the mechanism that we're converging on, but I I hope they have some code actually written, and you know I'm that that's demonstratable at least an isolated environment.

A

Everybody moving on to the sort of vnf CNF testing and benchmarking.

A

Cool.

B

All right so Miguel we exchanged some some emails on where things are. Things are I understand that you guys are using packet net or something similar. They are the guys who are hiring the or renting their physical servers. I keep forgetting the their domain name. Tyler, Watson and Lucy. Now briefed me on where you are: we've been actually chatting every day when anounced them and I understand, you've got the VMS and and the containers working but I they were, they were didn't know.

B

You know whether you are actually able to run any data plane tests yet so that also language.

C

Have been running some basic data plane tests so far using using in a B bench which connects to t-rex and uh pretty much so far, I've been focusing on 64 byte packets just to try and make sure we don't don't start to like on the the network interfaces since I guess we only have ten gig connections available.

C

So what we've done is we've scaled down, the number of, of course, being used for the VM Sun and then containers to pretty much the minimum that we can. We can. We can run with.

B

Okay and what's it of rates, are you getting? Are they comparable with what we are measuring.

D

At the end,.

C

If you get a serve red pack and you're, getting wonder that I'll just.

B

We're.

A

Losing of it.

B

So do you have any numbers to share any and the results anything at all.

C

Yes, you can hear me now I think my connection, a while all right yeah. So we have the numbers and I guess for for just a single chain: I guess we were reaching eight point three four million packets per second for the VM and for the odd. No, let me get the actual numbers because I guess we scaled it down a bit, so it might be by.

B

Single train here, you're talking EVP correct. Yes, yes- and this is a V switch- is- is what is V, V, P or obviously Budokai BBB. We switch, is VPP and then VM is running test PMD or what ultimately also the GP okay and it's a because user over tire for VM. Yes, yes, okay, okay, I'm, just updating the notes. Sorry.

C

Okay,.

B

Container, yes,.

C

The only difference is we're using memory F to interface sure, and so what are the numbers you're serving? You said, I point: three million TPS. Let me get the actual most recent ones. I have available just a second I should have them open and what is the packet loss ratio that you are measuring in that I'm using RSS measurements or MRI measurements re and mr r, mr r, as defined by isis? It I'm not sure. If it's e said I imagine there might be a. What do you mean by m RR? Is it max I.

B

Perceive it yes, that is sis it. Nobody else define the term will be define. Oh yeah,.

C

I think I heard it from from Ed at some point, so that might have happened. Why I got that's? Okay, that's! Okay! All right.

C

But I guess I guess I'm not even sure if I'm complying to it completely. To be honest, so what I'm doing right now is we're just pushing the the line rate and then then I've done measurements at lower rates as well.

B

Just yeah because, as you as you probably know, mr r is very forgiving for the computer because we're running a computer at the basically we don't. We don't care about PL our packet loss rate, so yeah. It is good indicative measure, however, for measuring memory interface efficiency. We probably would like to have, like you know: zero packet loss, yeah or or some tolerance. So we should measure both that's what we're doing in in the in the FDA. Oh yeah, people, don't really care about. Em are, are it's more of our the developers?

B

ah I know, but it's.

C

Also, just.

B

To get some some.

C

Yes, yes, yes,.

B

Yes, yes, do you know what is the computer you're running it on one of the the guys listed on this packet dotnet? Is it the sky like gold that they listing is available or something else? Yes, it's a gold. Fifty one 2051 20- and this is your anything in hyper-threading and you do you run to sibling frets? Okay, yes,.

E

Which nicks.

C

Mellanox kinetics force and we only have one port available since the other port is used for external and connectivity connect X force. You said yes, yes, okay are.

B

They going for the switch right, I am I, would imagine so yeah they do okay, so you got 8 point 3 Mbps for VM. What about container actually.

C

I guess just to get the correct numbers; I guess it's eight point: thirteen million packets per second for BNF 8.13 and for VP for container 12.20 for.

B

12.20 for okay, all right, also, mr r. Yes, yes, and this is the single chain: pcp yeah, okay, okay, what's the clock for the for the cpu? Let me just get it.

B

2.2 and you have it, sir, what was disabled and like that? Yes, I'm.

C

Actually not sure no, it looked like turbo boost is actually enabled on here. That is, and.

B

You.

C

Know I at least I see it running at 2.8 now so.

B

Okay,.

C

So a.

B

Good news is: you've got to the point where you're making measurements you have a t-rex scripts, you're running an energy bench. So this is just now tunic right, yeah.

C

And I've actually already been doing doing a bit of that one just to get the highest possible numbers given given like the setup that we have perfect.

B

So actually, true, booboo song is a good number because we actually did a report. The reports true Bassano, result in copenhagen EU and we have provided never wait with Giles on Wednesday in um system. As you can see. Hopefully this the slides got posted. We send them besides. Earlier few hours ago, yeah.

A

So.

B

This is the this is cool. We just need to start moving home. So how do we so we have breakout session, maybe next week to walk through there for the detail. I know that Tyler was very interested to make progress yeah. We.

C

Can definitely done.

B

Duncan also once he's paying attention because he wants to show some of it in his keynote yeah.

C

Well, I, guess and I can read: yes.

B

I got I.

C

Just I can, I can add, over the last couple of days it's well I actually got the multi-chain CNF working as well, so now I I, guess: I can use six CNF and chain on numa's 0 6.

B

Cnf seen chain, but are you doing horizontal mammoths or for the V switch horizontal horizontal? That's.

C

Impact.

B

No.

C

No, no, no, my vertical vertical! No, it is. It depends what you mean by horizontal vertical in this case.

B

Mic horizontal I mean where the two containers talk to each other verses.

C

Verses.

B

Instead of talking for the switch they talk to each other okay, so how many do you have up to six single chain? So you say: P si si si si si si yeah, yes or we can call it from one to six. Yes, yeah.

C

Or I guess we have the one. So so what what this does is just two to six and since I have a separate script for doing this I think.

B

The proper notation if we use reg X, is like this, so you basically care about single chain PC, and then you have one x times as many. So that's cool.

A

Let.

C

Me just find them so looking at, let's say: million packets per second at at the ten gig connection. I guess it starts out with two CNF sattell Evan point five. Then eleven point two, then nine point. Ninety four and nine point: ninety nine! At the nine point, eighty four. So there is a bit of drop and a bit of variation, but it's 94. What was the next one and nine? Ninety eight, now nine. Ninety nine! Actually ten! If you round it nine ninety, now it was the next one 984 and the next one.

C

Oh I'm ahead of you I guess so the first one was 1151 and 11:26 yep 999 994, and no then the third one is nine. Ninety four and nine ninety nine and then 984.

B

Okay, eleven.

C

Clip.

B

Six, nine, ninety nine nine! Ninety four: let me see if I can postman chanted Myesha. Well, if you are, if you are watching what I'm typing yeah.

C

But I'd only I'd like the one screen, so I'm kind of jumping between everything, I posted the numbers now in the jet.

A

No.

C

I'm, just working on setting that one up since the way we're doing it right now. There is a bit of hacking going on to get this to work and through vagrant, so I'm just trying to find a way to get piece up and running at all. Yeah.

B

Okay, so I'm wondering why you see a drone yeah.

C

That's kind of surprises me as well.

C

This is based on I've done five iterations of each run.

C

And this is also mr, are in every case. Yes, yes, I have numbers for lower streets as well. So if anything, it might be that once once we get to this once we start having a lot of drops and then it impacts you perform, and so it's.

B

Not that I know it this, let's take at the flame searcher its configuration.

B

Michael, quick because sorry, quick question because I need to drop off, it does Monday work for you. What time zone you in I'm sitting in Arizona, so that is Arizona is fine. It's currently you are on Pacific. So eight.

H

Eight-Thirty here am.

B

Yes, so you want currently Pacific until they moved to the wintertime. The.

I

Don't they don't.

B

Even change here, I guess there.

C

Is no I.

B

Know that you don't see very wise, everybody else. Does we just stupid? I'll propose something on Monday morning, your time and okay, yeah! That's fine! Thank you. Thank.

A

You this is gonna, be very key for a lot of folks who are looking at developing no resurface match for cloud native nfe, and so these kinds of compelling reasons are gonna be really really helpful. As we move forward. Yep.

B

I need to the Pope, please very much guys. Thank you. Thank you.

A

Made it excellent.

A

Ordered beer.

H

Yes,.

F

Multiple means all.

A

The me buttons are belonging to you, so real quick do. Do you want to give us a quick readout on the one se you experience.

F

Sure so ended up giving a few a few talks, but in different venues, I ended up having a conversation with some of the people from from Ericsson and looma down over at the DDF they're, both they're, both interested in helping out.

A

Man.

F

That's correct and that was right before ons, and so a neil has said that in the next few days, so he's probably traveling right now, but he said that in the next few days he was gonna reach out and he said he wants to start contributing code to the project. So for me that that's that's a huge one.

F

Let's see one of the things that I pitched to the OTL team who's focusing on the co e project, is that the team end up building out not only the co e CMI in itself, but that they also focus on to other. To other things, number one is providing a library we didn't go, which sort of like DPP agent, how you can control VPP.

F

Was it it right something similar so that you could do that with the o yell side, but the more important one is that they also create some either a member service endpoint that would use this library or decrease some form of e NS m that that's. They could then used to lift various features from rodeo.

F

So what got them to start thinking about what such a thing will look like one of the things that, if, if you get asked about the state around or things as I, cautioned them on was do not mix the cni stuff and the MSM stuff together, because there was all we can use, you know we can merge them all into one like super project, new song trying to destroy modularity.

A

Is good yeah.

F

So the actual sessions themselves so Kyle and I we end up giving a session on the network servers mesh. We got a really good turnout. I feel bad for some of the other sessions too, because they were probably empty because of us.

F

I didn't take an estimate of it. Maybe someone else who was a song that they call had the bitter, because I was more focused on getting the talk. That I was counting people, so I think having conversations as well with some of the with some of the people actually with the person from Intel and I, think was Ivan Coughlin and so we're gonna. We're gonna have discussions on on how we can better position like what he wants is he wants a guidance on like one should use every service smash.

F

You know when she, when she pulled motifs or that kind of stuff, so I'll help it right that that guidance up so because one of the things that's happening, that I want to be really careful with. Is that there's a lot of misconceptions just to where network service mesh is, and so some of the people in the multis community and so on are a little bit apprehensive of of our project and so rather than let things continue on and just let it evolve.

F

You know the two of us are gonna work to try to work out like yeah we're the best place in terms of positioning is so the people can be more confident where the lines fall.

F

Let's see what else I ended up having.

F

Ended up having a talk with some of the one of the Swiss telecoms telecom itself, and so they're they're interested in some of the network service mesh stuff as well so I'm gonna, see if I can get them to start, giving us some of their use cases where they think it might be useful and to help them further understand it. So I connected with one of them through through another avenues, so worst case scenario, if I can't get them on to this meeting or on to the mailing list.

F

I'll see if I can at least call the the requirements myself and then transcribe them with their permission to to our community.

F

Yeah, there was definitely a lot of a lot of interest. I, there's, certainly interest on from the CN CF itself. I have a lot of trouble, getting ahold of damn, damn comm, so I was able to get a full a hold of him, specifically so I'm gonna see if I can follow up with him.

F

Maybe in a week or so now that things are, you know he will finish traveling and things sort of settle down, so that so that we can work out like what type of messaging does he want to provide or or like?

F

How does he want to proceed with network serve as much as well, and so one of the things that they're asking us to do both CN CF and specifically how they should networking that it's not part of Edison directly but I, think it's something we can help a lot out is that we help provide guidance on what a CNF is in the first place. It's looking about this several times in the in the past several several weeks and so on. So there's a continuation of that but effectively they they want.

F

They want help in defining what it is help in trying to try to work with telcos to and the vnf who providers who want to move over to see em f's and if we're, if we're the ones who provide that that guidance. And then we can make sure that that it's like I, said an independent event assemble. We can make sure that they don't fall into the same pitfalls that we saw application developers do when they were starting to containerize their workloads. When dark ogres came out.

F

If see, if there was anything else, I forgot.

F

The happy hour didn't have as many people as I was expecting I. Think one of the reasons was that not because there was a lack of interest, but we had it was bad timing. With the with there was a general I guess you would say.

F

Booth crawl and that kind of stuff that that ended up going later today and then, when he combined that with there was no good venue that we could really find that was close to the conference center. And so we ended up going to one of the hotels. But the hotels were a little bit of a walk.

F

So we got some some people who were interested in it, but numbers weren't as high as.

F

But yeah the number one thing that I guess the number one feedback that I kept hearing over and over again is: we have to get some form of a proof of concept out, we'll get something running and showing because right now people cannot pick our work in order to show I didn't want to build proof of concepts for other things as well and they want to pull us in, but they can't pull us in them because we're not radio. So we have to get ready.

A

Which is the arc talk in progress work, so there's been a lot of conversation going back and forth, trying to actually write down the architecture for a lot of these things, and particularly so we can pin down some of the api's so that sort of the latest PR I've got going on this and the the area that we're currently focusing most on is the api.

A

You'll, basically, is the within kubernetes. Could everyone see the shirt over the way.

A

Can everyone see the shrimp can anyone's? Okay? Yes, yes, so within within kubernetes there's a data plane between the network service manager and whatever your data plane is and this this is basically how the network service manager asks for cross connects from whatever data player data planes are present on the system, and so we've been trying to define this sort of MSM to ennis them data plane api. In other words, what is the NSM say to the NSF data plane?

A

And this has got you know, things like create cross, connects update, cross connect, delete cross connect, listen watch cross connects, which is a pattern which basically says look give me the status about the cross, connects you've, got and then listen watch mechanisms which we'll get to mechanisms in just a second, but mechanisms are sort of like the things you can support like I am a data plane. They can do colonel interfaces in VX lab, but there's the only mechanisms I support.

A

So if you need somebody to give you cross, connects for mif and srt-6 I can't help you right and so listen. Watch mechanisms allows you to send information from the data plane up to the MSM about the mechanisms and then the other one that we define as a simple registration for the network's. This is the sort of within the network services, mesh data playing talks to the network service manager, and it just has a registration that sort of says: hey, I'm, a datum plane.

A

This is how you phone phone me back and then we've been working through sort of sorting out these mechanisms as well. Yeah we're a mechanism is one of either a remote mechanism or a local mechanism, and we look at local mechanisms. You get things like a type, and currently we've got four types that we've identified so far: curl interfaces in MiFID host user and then we've got a map. That's a bunch of labels and we're currently thinking is these. Labels could express you preferences or constraints or communicate the final values of a parameter.

A

So for a kernel interface, for example, you might have a label name equals e2, and so, if I am a pod coming up, you know wanting to be connected to network service I. Might you know say: I look, you know among my preferred list of local mechanisms, you know, I would prefer an interface and I would prefer that it be made these two and then, when you give I need a plane would be.

A

The mechanism was actually, you know, serve it out, and then we've also got remote mechanisms to find they sort of first get to find what we're looking at, how NSM is communicate with each other and the remote mechanisms are sort of very similar they've got to type and a bunch of labels. um The kinds of things you communicate in those labels would be somewhat different, so we sort of use an example here of the ex slam right.

A

So you would imagine that you know you would have source IP source, port, dusty dust, port, envy and I, and so when one in a sense, it's a remote connection request to another NS m. It would specify source IP source port and a list of acceptable VN eyes, probably expressed as ranges and then, when the NS m to comes back, it would still send back a source port best part. Each start support an IP, but it also sends the dust IP import and the particular V and I that it picked as labels make sense.

A

So far, five two folks.

A

They're all speak at once.

F

Well,.

A

And so the big part of this is there's a lot of conversation happening on IRC back and forth, because Sergey is trying to produce code, and god bless in he's chasing moving architecture, which is incredibly brave, but it's also productive because he keeps sort of poking things back and saying hey. Why is this so complicated and so things get simpler?

A

Do you have any time and see what I make Sergey.

H

Well, basically, just just one I mean if it's all possible, I would really really prefer to keep Anna same cut as away from being mechanism knowledgeable, so there shouldn't be any cool in the NSM for any type of mechanism. So it's just like a bridge I would consider it as a bridge doesn't matter if it's a Ferrari runs over the bridge or somebody on the donkey crossing. The river I mean I, don't care.

A

So there's a lot going on I think relatively close to converging on pretty simple and our full set of api's or NSM to the data plane and for NSM data and from there I think you're developing gets to be much simpler, more straightforward, so it should be easier to get involved, but I.

I

Think- and this is this is not remote mechanism specific. This is remote mechanism type. So, to this point is just far matter to set up the channel just the overlay right. How else would you? How else would you configure it yeah this plant needs all this.

A

Yes,.

A

When you look at the setting up of a cross connect between some pod that wants to consume a network service and some network service endpoint somewhere, presuming that network service endpoint is not running as a pod on the same node, then you end up having to sort out the local mechanism.

A

In other words, how do you inject the connection into the pod, which might be a kernel interface or that they might be mem I off, and then you also got to start out the remote mechanism and that remote mechanism has to be negotiated with the network service manager, that is, managing the network service endpoint, and so you have to be able to express you know essentially as part of that hey.

A

This is the list of preferences that I have, as I said, one for the kinds of things that would be acceptable to me as remote mechanisms and then NS m2 has to select one of those and get it back to you, and so this just becomes a very simple way in the API to communicate that back and forth.

I

No I mean.

A

I.

G

Like I.

I

Like what you're, showing and I get it totally, I was just wondering what was the comment before about NSM being obstructed and not detailing this stuff? Okay, yeah.

H

Basically, the NSM needs to do a selection process and there are multiple levels where we could do the selection first, who could do on the remote mechanism type?

H

That's one level of the selection and second, to look at the actual details for that specific remote mechanism selection and do some analysis so I would III I mean I think it would make sense to do the selection on the first level on the type of the mechanism, but leave the more detailed analysis to the data plant who actually implements it and have a way better position to to parse them and to analyze them than to do it in the NSM code makes sense. I.

I

Understand but the the low level driver whatever it is mechanism that will be in charge of building the cross-connect needs configuration from somewhere.

A

The.

I

First, the first two examples is just simply: source IP and destination IP. This is something that comes from a central knowledge somewhere, I, don't know it.

A

Doesn't actually come from central from a central idea, but I think what you're really getting out of? We should probably strive to move forward with your is some sequence diagrams. So people can see these things in context, because it's good to have the API is defined, but I think we sort of getting a sequence diagram of how the messages flow in context with the complete filling out of some of these fields would be massively helpful to make a lot of this clearer.

A

Big funds.

I

Okay,.

A

Full and and and all right cool um anything else before we move on to other items in the agenda, because we're time keeps on ticking I would strongly encourage people to get involved in. In some of these things, like I, said, there's a lot of activity on the IRC Channel. We've had a lot of really useful feedback from a bunch of folks, though the PR is out there for comment. The cars are being run pretty hot, meaning that, as they progress, they're getting updated.

A

Precisely so there's a nice place for people to go, read through and add comments. So you know this is an exciting time in the project. We would love to have more people involved in it, cool awesome, so action item cracking so Frederick since you're. Actually here now, do you mind you're much better at this than I am I'm happy to share the the project board? Do you want to talk Dilli.

F

Palm is I, don't have access to my computer right now, so I'm not gonna, be effective at that.

A

Cool so I think we probably need to go through and write and clean up some of these. So, for example, if you use the X Factor C house, which is definitely something folks would like to work on, but I think things like the migrate go errors to go errors. I think that's been resolved. Is that correct Frederick.

F

Sorry, can you repeat it one more time, I greet.

A

Errors to go errors.

F

Yeah, that's an ongoing thing, but the the majority of that has should be resolved. So we have go-go airs installed. We have the plugin built out part of it is that, as we refactor the system, we need to go and change everything to use, go errors to primarily for injecting the B stack, traces.

A

So you mentioning some of my goo errors. Is nice yeah.

F

So basically, what happens is that when you run co-heirs instead of using the standard errors which just gives you a string, you run go errors and it you can inject it information into the into the errors, a set of labels, and so the stack stack traces are one such thing that we inject in, and so we end up once once it hits the logger.

F

We can then serialize all the the logger into whatever format we want and it's but ensure that we keep that structure so we're so we've set it up so that when you write to I think it was la gross, then you'll have all that available. All the information and context available in your in your logging system, so you can filter by them or or perform whatever analysis you want. So.

A

With a line number attached to it, you get a potentially cryptic stream of a line of or attach to it and a stack trace, correct.

A

Awesome cool, so we've got the ongoing the coming communities working group member and that's been backward a little bit lately. um Do you remember Fredrik what the work out documentation, infrastructure stuff is.

F

I, don't at the moment.

F

Well, we had a document of well I. You wrote one on no, you wrote the one on I get the network namespace sting to get a privileged container. I, don't recall if that's been documented or not yeah. That should be easy to document, though.

G

So it's just.

F

Finding of corresponding kubernetes to run tutela, to give you a privileged a privileged container, so.

A

That's the right place, because one of the things that we've started to do in the arc doc is to get really clear about what is network service mission of the abstract and what things are particular tune: every service mission kubernetes so, for example, the innocent and the same api. You know how to never service managers. Do you make it with each other? That is not at all, particularly kubernetes right, so kubernetes isms shouldn't creep into that, but the you know the network service clients to never service manager API within kubernetes.

A

You know that we can sort of look at in a much more sane way, because we know that's always going to be a kubernetes thing if someone is using and that resource manager a different context, they'll have their own way for network service and points and network service clients to communicate with them in that context pool. um So the in his proposal supports Siena, CN, CF, CNF project I think we're actually moving towards that Michael. Does it sound like we're heading towards things that would be helpful and useful to you? Yeah.

C

Definitely and again it's a lot of right now for me manual work that I guess could be abstracted to something a little a little easier to manage.

A

Yeah cool and then we had a really good point here, made by doing hammer last week about separating this house somewhat by audience in terms of who we are addressing and he started taking a swag sort of what he saw as the audience's. You know, developers of NSF, rework and API is developers, love plugins insanity that consumers of those etc and I think that's a very good point. I think right now we're sort of very much of heads down.

A

No, but as we document things, we have to keep that in mind and then the l214 with UDP example, I think Tom continues to work on that right. Tom yeah.

E

That's correct and I'm trying to participate in this discussion of the data plane to to n sm n SMD to n sm protocol, because you know that's that. That's a key to this to develop these data plane connections.

A

In progress things, Rosario V the guidelines for extending an ascent from doomhammer I need to go, find out. Why that's hanging out of review the majors have gone stale? Is there anything else that folks want to touch on while we're reviewing sort of the the Kanban board.

A

All right cool anything else. The folks want to talk about we're sort of running off the into the agenda. We still have a little bit of time here at the end, but I'm inclined to yield it back. If folks are good.

A

All right, thank you, guys. Much appreciated talk.

E

To you next week, yeah bye, everybody yeah.
youtube image
From YouTube: Network Service Mesh WG Meeting - 2018-09-28

Description

Join us for Kubernetes Forums Seoul, Sydney, Bengaluru and Delhi - learn more at kubecon.io

Don't miss KubeCon + CloudNativeCon 2020 events in Amsterdam March 30 - April 2, Shanghai July 28-30 and Boston November 17-20! Learn more at kubecon.io. The conference features presentations from developers and end users of Kubernetes, Prometheus, Envoy, and all of the other CNCF-hosted projects